Friday, December 4, 2009

It Snowed on My Birthday!

Yesterday was my birthday, and it snowed. Big, fluffy, lopsided flakes that flip flopped lazily out of the sky. And it was cold . . . in the teens. We bundled up in triple layers of sweaters and jackets when Lori took us out for breakfast. Gene wore his farmer, fleece lined hat with ear flaps to keep his head warm.

After breakfast, we took Lori back to her house in Norfolk, then headed to the mall to do some shopping. Gene wanted to buy me a trinket for my birthday as much of my jewelry had been stolen in our recent robbery. Turned out to be quite a trinket, diamond stud earrings that can be worn with or without a circular guard with more diamonds. I was stunned!

Calls and e-mails came in during the day wishing me a happy birthday. I opened a funny card from Joan that I had been carrying around since we left Phoenix. On the front were four old women wearing big t-shirts with curvaceous bodies printed on them. Joan had penned our names across the backsides of the women: Kathy, Carol, Joan and Suzi. We had quite a laugh. She also bought me a pair of earrings, as did Carol and Kathy and Lori. I'm refilling the jewelry box I have yet to replace.

Lori and I spent the afternoon mixing cookie dough to take to Lincoln where her daughter Crystal lives. On Friday night we'll go to a Christmas concert, and on Saturday we'll all get together to bake and decorate Christmas cookies . . . a new tradition with the Taylor siblings.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing, going out to dinner and playing cards with the young people who daily invade the Taylor home. We're still getting condolence phone calls and e-mails about John, which prod us back to the reality of why we are here. But my happiness was real today, too. I was in the comfort of the Taylor household, my husband had given me a gift I will always treasure, and it snowed!

No comments: