Monday, May 18, 2009

Sailing the Adriatic



We got lucky. After rain in Italy and cool weather in Dubrovnik, it calmed down. Smooth waters greeted us the first day out. By the third day we had some wind, plus dolphin at the bow. On our way south back to Dubrovnik, we encountered 20-25 knot winds and got pounded on all day. The final day was calmer and a good day for a few hours of sailing. The cat was easy to handle . . . we want to do this again!

I tried to coax Phil into swimming in the Adriatic with me, and when we reached our last day we finally found a quiet cove to anchor. When he wouldn't join me, I went below, put on my suit and headed topside. With a shout of "Geronimo!" I jumped off Jeronimo and hit the chilly water. Jim Dafoe couldn't stand it and jumped in too. Now I can say I swam in the Adriatic!

No comments: