Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Sierras


View of the switchback highway and reservoir on our white-knuckle drive.

Terri and Nanaette left Sequoia after five fun-filled days, and we left the following morning for what we thought would be a short driving day. After grocery shopping and filling up with gas in Fresno, we headed toward Yosemite. Our final destination was Angels Camp. This is the area of California where gold was discovered in 1849.

We'd been to Yosemite a few years back and remembered grass covered, oak tree studded rolling hills and thought the drive would be an easy one. Not so! Highway 49 turned into a mountainous, curvy, up and down nightmare. We'd planned on a 2-1/2 hour drive . . . but it took five! We arrived hot (temperatures in the mid 90's), tired and white-knuckled.

Angels Camp and the surrounding towns are quite unique, with lots of California mining history. On a walk early one morning around the fairgrounds behind our RV park, I spotted what I first thought was a coyote (I had just seen a coyote as I started my walk). An animal was sunning itself on a grassy hillside near a rodeo arena. Through my binoculars, I saw it stand up and turn around. Not a coyote at all, but a cat! Larger than a bobcat, sandy in color, and with a long, curved up tail. A mountain lion? I have a hard time estimating sizes when looking through my binoculars, but I can't imagine it was anything else. I watched it for a while until it slowly sauntered off.

Our drive to Clio, California, north of Lake Tahoe, was less harrowing. Saw wild turkey and one deer along the way. We plan to stay here eight nights and will probably end up near Mount Shasta next.

No comments: